Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lemon Butter Trout, Basil Parmesan Orzo and Sweet Orange Carrots

Due to "The Blizzard of 2011" and "The Storm after the Blizzard of 2011" I have not been to work in 10 days.  By no means am I complaining, I am quite enjoying being lazy and spending time with the dog and the husband.  

While I have been snowed in for approximately 2 weeks, I have been watching a lot of cooking shows and looking at many cooking/baking blogs... therefore, I have been trying new recipes (and eating, a lot).  I went to the Dr. today, I was worried about the weigh in, but shockingly, I have not gained weight in 2 weeks.  

I don't really cook a lot of fish, but for some reason while we were out today, I had Kent stop by Whole Foods to look at their fish selection.  We were going to get shrimp, but decided to try our luck with fish-rainbow trout.  I like trout because it does not seem to be fishy tasting.  We got 2 fillets (I also learned that a fish fillet has 2 l's (spelling) beef filet has 1).   For some reason, I thought it would be expensive, but for 2 fillets, it was only $15.00.  

When we got home, I started looking up recipes... I could not really find one that sounded good, so I kind of mixed a few recipes together and made up my own.   Now, I'm just warning you, when I cooked, I used butter... so it is not as healthy as it could be, but we prefer to use something that is not 1 molecule away from being plastic.    

So here is what I ended up making for dinner... It may look like a lot of steps, but it was actually quite simple and only took about an hour (preparation and coking time).  

I started the Orzo first because I knew it would take the most time.  Here is the recipe, I also adapted it to my likings. 
  
  FYI: Orzo is rice shaped pasta

Orzo with Parmesan and Basil


2tablespoons butter
1cup uncooked orzo pasta
1(14.5 ounce) can chicken broth (I used water and chicken Bouillon cubes)
1Tbsp garlic
2Tbsp. Heavy Cream (You can substitute for milk)
2tsp. Parmesan cheese (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
2tablespoons chopped fresh basil (I used Marvini Organic Basil Paste, it's what I had)

Melt butter in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in orzo and saute until lightly browned, make sure you continually stir it, so it does not burn (It took longer than I expected).
Stir in chicken stock and bring to boil. Add cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Mix in Parmesan cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper if you need more. Transfer to shallow bowl. Garnish with basil sprigs.

Orange Glazed Carrots

1pound carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
¼cup orange juice
3tablespoons brown sugar
2tablespoons butter
1pinch salt
zest of 1 orange (I used a clementine, it's what I had)

Place carrots in a pan with water. Cover the pan and boil until somewhat tender.
In a separate pan, melt butter. When butter is melted, add  the carrots, Orange Juice, stir in brown sugar and salt. Zest orange into carrots. Let simmer until juice has reduced to your liking, I cooked them about 10 minutes.
And here is the Trout Recipe:

Lemon Butter Trout

2Trout Fillets (2 fish)
2lemons
Zest from the 1 lemon above
4Tbsp. Butter, or you could use oil
Salt
Pepper
If fish will not fit in skillet, you can cut it into portions that would better fit your pan.
Pat fish dry and season both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add juice of 1 lemon, cut it in half and squeeze.
When butter starts smoking, add the fillet to skillet, flesh side down (scales up), and cook until fish is golden brown and releases easily from skillet, about 5 minutes. The fish is very delicate, it’s hard to flip over.
Gently flip fish. Put the zest of lemon on top of fish. Cook until opaque throughout, about 2 minutes.

All of the fish recipes read stressed how important it is not to leave the fish or forget about it because it is so delicate, so... don't leave the fish unattended. 



Results:
All 3 new recipes were a success!! I was going to take pictures as I cooked, but i have a problem multi-tasking and I did not want to ruin dinner.  In time, hopefully I will be able to manage both.  

I was also planning a fabulous dessert (new recipe also) but we were too full to eat anything more.  So that will probably be the next posting! :) 


1 comment:

  1. if you need more "tasters", remember we are the ones that walked a mile in a blizzard just to eat out!!!

    ReplyDelete