Monday, February 14, 2011

Marshmallows...White fluffy goodness

What do you think of when you hear marshmallow? My thoughts immediately go to smores, or rice krispy treats, both of which are amazing.  But do you ever just crave a marshmallow? 

I merely thought of marshmallows as an accessory... until I started experimenting with them. I tried a few different recipes, this was my favorite. This recipe is guaranteed to change your perspective on "the marshmallow".  

The first time I made them, I was a bit overwhelmed and I wondered if it was really worth it, but now that I have made them, it is SO worth it.  I must warn you, it is a bit time consuming... you make them, then let them set over night to dry out. 

Here is what you will need;


tablespoons unflavored gelatin (I use 3 packets of Knox Unflavored Gelatin)
cups granulated sugar
1cup light corn syrup
¼teaspoon salt
2tablespoons pure vanilla extract (I like to use Almond liqueur, but Godiva liqueur and Grand Marnier is also good)
Confectioners' sugar (for dusting)
Combine gelatin and ½ cup cold water in the bowl of an electric mixer with whisk attachment. Let it stand at least 30 minutes. 
Combine granulated sugar, corn syrup, salt and ½ cup of water in a small heavy saucepan; place over low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Wash down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush to dissolve sugar crystals.
Clip on a candy thermometer; raise heat to high. Cook syrup without stirring until it reaches 244 degrees (firm-ball stage). Immediately remove pan from heat.
With stand mixer on low speed, slowly and carefully pour syrup into the softened gelatin. I put a towel over the mixer so I do not have stuff everywhere. Increase speed to high; beat until mixture is very thick and white and has almost tripled in volume, about 15 minutes. Add vanilla (or preferred flavor); beat to incorporate.


Spray an 8 × 12-inch glass baking pan with pam and lightly dust with confectioners’ sugar. Pour marshmallow mixture into pan, I usually PAM my spatula (it gets very sticky). Dust with confectioners’ sugar; let stand overnight, uncovered, to dry out.
If you want to add any extras (chocolate chips, coconut, sprinkles) now would be the time to do so, while it is still warm so they stick to the marshmallow. 
When I cut them, I use lots of confectioner’s sugar because it is so sticky! I usually try to cut them into 1 inch squares.  I ALWAYS end up getting powered sugar everywhere and making a mess, however, when Kent cuts them up, it takes him no time at all and his area is spotless (go figure).  



I have made red and green marshmallows before, using food color, however, you need to use the food coloring gel, not the liquid.  The liquid food coloring makes them too sticky.  

My favorite way to eat them... is roasted over the stove, it's very similar to eating the top of the creme brulee.  They are also great in Hot chocolate or dipped in chocolate sauce!!! 

They also make great gifts, they get sent out in the Christmas goodie bags, and a few lucky recipients received them today for Valentine's Day! 




2 comments:

  1. Good work Sweetie. Looking forward to the next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for my valentine treat!!!

    ReplyDelete