Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Breakfast

Well, for the second week in a row, we have not made it to church... heathens, I know.  So, of course, when I woke up, I immediately thought of food.  I was trying to figure out what to make for breakfast when I remembered I had buttermilk in the fridge I needed to use.  So what is the first thing I thought of... Buttermilk pancakes.  Since we have already had pancakes twice and waffles once in the past 2 weeks (I've been cooking since I have been home), I wanted to switch it up.  


So, I decided to go with Lemon Buttermilk pancakes topped with Raspberry syrup.  Normally, Kent does not like anything in his pancakes (I like chocolate chips, heath, pecans, pumpkin, blueberries, bananas, cookies and cream... really, anything sweet), but he likes lemon and tart, so i figured it was safe.  


I got out my notebook of recipes and started looking for my mom's recipe.  It was originally out of a cookbook, but we have tweaked it to our likings over the past 20 years. The recipe is actually for Buttermilk pancakes, I just added lemon zest to give it a lemon flavor, so if you want plain pancakes, omit the lemon zest.  


Pancakes:
2C flour
1tsp baking soda
¾tsp salt
¼C sugar
2eggs
2C Buttermilk (if you do not have, use 1⅔ C milk and ⅓ C sour cream)
2Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted.
Zest of 1 lemon (optional)


Raspberry Syrup (or technically I guess it's a sauce):
1C. Raspberries (I used frozen)
C water
¼C water
C sugar (you may want more, I like tart)
A tiny bit of vanilla, 4 or 5 drops
1Tbsp. Cornstarch  
* You can use this recipe and substitute the raspberries for any other fruit. 
**I did not start making my syrup until I started cooking the pancakes, I wanted it to be warm

Directions are as follows:
For the pancakes:
In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix very Well.
In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, buttermilk and butter. This is when I added the lemon zest If you want any type of zest add it into this mixture.  
Make a well (dig a hole in the middle of) the dry ingredients. Pour in the buttermilk mixture. With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix ingredients… You barely need to mix them, just enough so you do not see the dry ingredients. Then STOP mixing. The batter will be lumpy and look similar to dough. If you think the batter is too lumpy, let it sit for 10 minutes then stir a couple of times. When the batter is to your liking, you can add (fold in carefully, be careful not to mix it too much) any extra ingredients; chocolate chips, pecans, fruit, etc. 

Turn heat on medium/high heat. Spray griddle or pan with oil ( I use PAM, you can use butter or oil). Let pan heat up before putting batter on.


I use ¼ cup to dip out the batter. The batter will still be very thick. If your pancakes brown too quickly, turn the heat down.

Cook the pancakes on one side until bubbles appear and begin to break, then flip until they are browned/tanned on the other side.
Don’t ever smash the pancakes, they won’t be light and fluffy.

For the Raspberry Syrup:
Put 1¼ C water, sugar and raspberries in a saucepan and turn on low.

In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch and ¼ C water. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved.
When raspberry/sugar mixture is boiling, add vanilla and cornstarch and turn heat off. The mixture should thicken, and will thicken even more as it cools off.


I asked Kent if he could tell if they tasted different from the Bisquick pancakes (yes, i cheat when I don't have time to "do" homemade).  He said they were much better, I thought so too. I was surprised how much you could taste the lemon zest, next time I think I will try orange. This pancake recipe was very fluffy, light and airy! Bear also got to partake in a pancake, he enjoyed it as well.  

1 comment: