Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Perfect Buttermilk Biscuits

I have been in the search of a biscuit recipe that does not taste like baking powder.  I came across a couple different recipes online and in my usual style, combined them to create my own recipe.  This recipe is very simple and took me 10 minutes to make and about 10 minutes to bake.  


The ingredients in this biscuit recipe are things I like to keep well stocked in my house, they are the basics of baking and will help you get by...especially when you need to go to the grocery store like me.   


Here is what you will need:


2cups flour
2teaspoons baking powder
½teaspoon salt
2teaspoons baking soda
6tablespoons chilled butter
1cup buttermilk



Pre heat oven to 425 degrees
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.

Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.  I did not have a pastry cutter, so I used what I had. (Next time, I think I will use my Kitchen Aid for this step, on low speed until the mix is crumbly. Maybe I'll get a pastry cutter from Santa this year too!). 
Add buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough ball forms (there will be small chunks of butter). Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. 

Knead lightly a few times with your hands, just until smooth. Pat the dough to desired thickness, 1/4 to 1/2 inch  (depending on how thick you like your biscuits).

Using a round cookie cutter, cut out biscuits. It's okay if they are not perfect.  



Bake on ungreased baking sheet (I used a baking stone) for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden. For the last couple of minutes, I moved the biscuits to the top rack of the oven so they would brown.  


They turned out very light and fluffy, but most importantly, they did not have a bitter baking powder flavor. 



I put butter and syrup on mine and Kent put jelly on his.  Both were delicious! 

Variations:

If you were making these for dinner, you could add garlic, chives and cheddar cheese to the recipe and have a great dinner biscuit.  

If you were needing a quick dessert, these would also make a great strawberry shortcake.  



No comments:

Post a Comment