Monday, March 14, 2011

Waffles for Dinner? Yes Please!

It has been a busy week. It was my last week at school, I was trying to get things prepared for my maternity leave (I'm not going back after spring break!) and we had parent teacher conferences Tuesday and Thursday.  In the midst of the craziness, I got sick with a viral infection and ear infections. Oh, what fun. So, my last day was Tuesday. Needless to say, I did not cook much this week.  


We did manage to eat at 3 new restaurants this week, all of which I would recommend.   


Our first destination was Gemma's Woodfire Kitchen on Brookeside. I got pasta with chicken and a pesto cream sauce and Kent got a woodfire pizza. I believe he used the word "impressed", which is a good thing. Our friends ordered a burger and a woodfire pizza, both very pleased with their selections. Everything was delicious!


The second stop on our whirlwind dinner adventure of the week was at the fabulous Duke's Southern Kitchen, in Bixby, next to the Spirit Event Center. One of the chef's is also the chef at The Brasserie and Sonoma Wine Bar (both on Brookeside and both excellent dining choices as well). If you like southern style cooking, this is definitely your place! This is definitely one of Kent's favorite places we have encountered thus far, although I think a lot of it has to do with his bias towards southern food. We started out with fried green tomatoes and crab cakes, followed by shrimp and grits and delicious fried chicken, only to be topped off with their amazing dessert.  At our table, we had the blackberry cobbler, beignets, red velvet ganache cake and the cinnamon roll. I really wish Duke's was closer, because I have a feeling we will be frequenting there a lot! 


Our final destination of this weeklong restaurant tour of Tulsa was Hey Mambo in the Brady District. Our Life Group threw us a baby shower after church on Sunday and we had an amazing time. It has a great atmosphere and we are already looking forward to a chance to go back and try it again! I got a calzone (lunch) and Kent got French toast (brunch) topped with a mini funnel cake (yes, a funnel cake). It was very good!! 


Today, after a busy day of going to school to clean out cabinets, driving all over Tulsa running baby errands (Target, Pottery Barn Kids, Babies R Us, Dillards, Crazy Eights, Gap, the other Target, Kohl's and ending at Wal-Mart), I came home and crashed. Sometimes you just need a nap! So when I woke up at 6:15 p.m. (apparently Kent was tired too, because when I awoke he was sound asleep on the couch), I was thinking waffles or pancakes (easy). I decided we would try waffles with orange syrup.


I found a recipe based on the ingredients I had in the refrigerator.  Here is what you will need:





2cups all-purpose flour
2teaspoons baking powder
1teaspoon baking soda
1teaspoon salt
3tablespoons white sugar
4egg yolks
4egg whites
cups milk
½cup butter (melted)

In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Make a well in the center of the bowl. 
Separate the eggs, yolks in one bowl and whites in another. 

In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolks and milk. Gradually stir in butter. Pour into well of flour mixture and stir well. Stir just until ingredients are moistened. Mixture will be thick.

In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff (I use a hand held mixer). Fold into batter.

Cook batter in waffle iron.

Makes about 12- 4 inch waffles.
I also made an orange syrup to go on top of the waffles, I thought it was very tasty! Here is how I made it;
¾cup orange juice* 
1tablespoon cornstarch
½cup sugar
2tablespoons (¼ stick) unsalted butter
2teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1teaspoon grated orange peel* (remember, there's only one kind of OJ and that is Florida's Natural; unless of course you have fresh Florida oranges you can squeeze)

Stir orange juice and cornstarch in small saucepan until smooth. Add sugar and stir over medium heat until thick, about 8 minutes. 
Add butter, lemon juice and orange peel and stir until butter melts.


I was surprised how good the syrup was. I like to put cream cheese (whipped) on my waffles, and with the orange syrup, it tasted like an orange cream cheese danish.  



This syrup would also be absolutely amazing on angel food cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment