Monday, May 2, 2011

Toffee Gooey Butter Cake

Well, it has been 2 weeks since I last posted anything. I have not been cooking as much, our Life Group at church has been graciously bringing us meals so we can focus on caring for the newest addition to our familly, Stapleton!


I have been busy changing outfits, diapers and feeding, as well as recuperating (or trying to).  I have also learned... there are a lot of things "they" do not tell you about having a baby.  However, I won't get into that, most of it would fall into the TMI category!


For Easter, I made Paula Deen's Toffee Gooey Butter Cake.  I love toffee (I usually put it in ice cream with chocolate chips, rice krispies and marshmallows) and yellow cake, so I couldn't wait to try this recipe out. 
Here is what you need:   

Cake:
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1(18.2- ounce) package yellow cake mix
1large egg
½cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Filling:
1(8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2large eggs
1teaspoon vanilla extract
3cups confectioners' sugar (the original recipe called for 4 cups, which I thought was too much and after having a bite, it is definitely sweet enough with 3)
½cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1cup toffee bits

I also added a handful of mini-chocolate chips.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.
In the bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and set aside.


In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, eggs, vanilla extract, confectioners’ sugar and butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Fold in the toffee bits with a spatula. I also added some chocolate chips, because who doesn't love chocolate? 



Pour the filling over the cake mixture and spread it evenly.  


Bake until the center is just a little bit gooey, about 40 to 50 minutes. 


Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. I was impatient and wanted to taste it right away, but it was much better after it had cooled off. 


It was very good, but very rich and sweet! It was a quick, easy recipe that I am sure I will alter (less sweetness) and perfect. 





No comments:

Post a Comment