Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake

Fall is my absolute favorite season! There are many things I love about fall...
- The weather, it has been BEAUTIFUL
- The food, pumpkin and spice flavors
- Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks
- Thanksgiving
- Fall is the segway to Christmas... if that makes sense. 
- Fall is the best time to go camping
- Fall is the best time to sit around the fire pit on the patio, with the chill in the air and a glass of wine
-Fall is when Kent I and started dating and fell in love! 
-The leaves are beautiful... well maybe not this year in Oklahoma


 Fall is just perfect!


So, like I previously mentioned, I love the pumpkin and spice flavors... a couple of years ago, I heard there was going to be a shortage of canned pumpkin, so me, being the smart gal that I am bought about 15 cans of pumpkin at the grocery store, there was no way I was going without out my staples for the season. 


I don't know where I heard that, but it was not true... and we had all this pumpkin I had to use, so I experimented, and by the end of it all, we had many new delicious recipes and Kent was sick of pumpkin. We had pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin waffles, pumpkin french toast, pumpkin cookies (amazing), pumpkin dip, pumpkin soup, pumpkin bread pudding (probably my favorite dessert) pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin seeds... and the list goes on... :)
So I was not allowed to make anything pumpkin for a long while, Kent still rolls his eyes when I mention pumpkin in a recipe title. 


I had to take something to life group last sunday for snacks, so I made a pumpkin spice coffee cake.  It turned out pretty good.  
I came across this recipe on Pinterest (my newest addiction) I adapted it from the cookbook Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms.  


You will need the following ingredients:


For the cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
15 oz can pumpkin
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt

For the Streusel Topping: (Yes, this is my favorite part, so naturally, I doubled this)
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup oats
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Preheat  oven to 350°F. Spray the inside of pan (it suggested a tube or bundt, but I used a 13 x 9 inch pan) with nonstick spray; set aside. 


In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until well blended. Add the pumpkin and eggs and mix thoroughly. 


In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture. Mix on medium speed until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. 


To prepare the streusel topping, combine the flour, sugars, oats, cinnamon, melted butter and pecans in a bowl. Then sprinkle the streusel over the cake batter. 


Bake for 30-35 minutes (depending on which pan you use, if you use a bundt pan, you will need to cook it 45-50 minutes) or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Slide a knife around the pan so the cake doesn't stick when removing it. If you use a bundt pan, cool on wire rack for 15 minutes then turn over on a plate, and back onto another plate so the streusel topping is back on top.  


This cake was even better the next day! It stayed moist and the flavors really came out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment