Thursday, September 1, 2011

Thai Basil Chicken

One of our favorite restaurants in Tulsa is Keo, on Brookside. It is a quaint, reasonably priced restaurant with delicious "asian fusion" food.   Kent and I usually split the Tom Ka soup and the Thai Sweet Basil. They also have an AMAZING mango cheesecake that I think about quite often.  

I have been wanting the Thai Sweet basil, but we are trying not to eat out as much (we will see how long that lasts).  So when I was at the grocery store, I saw the ground chicken and thought I would experiment.  I looked up a few different recipes and went from there.  

Sorry, I did not take step-by-step pictures, I was not sure how it would turn out, but it is a very simple dish and you can cook it all in one pan.  The version I made was not super spicy, just had a little kick so you can omit the chili oil and Sriracha sauce if you would like.  

Here is the recipe:

1lb of ground chicken (½ lb. per person)
2Tbsp. oil (peanut, canola or I used grape seed oil)
2Tbsp. Chile oil
½C onion (chopped)
½Bell Pepper (chopped)
3Tbsp. minced garlic
sriracha sauce (to taste, I added a little at a time, I probably put in 2 teaspoons and kept tasting)
½C brown sugar
1tsp ginger
Soy sauce to taste
5large basil leaves (chopped)

Heat a large skillet or Wok with oils. When your oil gets nice and hot, you can saute your onions and peppers. After about 5 minutes, add your garlic. When garlic starts turning a light brown color (30 seconds), add the ground chicken. 
Cook chicken until it is no longer pink (you treat it just as you would ground beef). Turn your burner to medium-low heat. One at a time, add sriracha sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar and ginger. Stir frequently. 
Lastly, add basil and let simmer for a few minutes. Taste and adjust as needed. I impressed myself, it turned out great!  At Keo, this dish is $13 and I made 2 servings for less than $10.00 (It really only cost me $3.00 because I had everything but the ground chicken).  
Best served over a bed of rice!


No comments:

Post a Comment