Monday, November 28, 2011

Brussels Sprouts

When I was little, I was not allowed to leave the table until I had eaten all of the vegetables on my plate.  Sometimes, it was not so bad with the candied carrots, corn, or green beans. However, on other dreadful nights, my mother made brussels sprouts.  I was not a fan of brussels sprouts, it was a hold-your-nose and chew as fast as you can, and then swallow situation.  My mother would steam and season them... 25 years later and my opinion has completely changed of brussels sprouts (No offense Mom).

In an earlier post, I mentioned I ate at Juniper and had brussels sprouts.  The next time I was shopping at Reasor's in the produce area, I spotted the brussels sprouts and thought I would give it a try.  


You will need:
Brussels Sprouts, about 10-15 
Some type of oil, I used Grape Seed, Olive oil also works great
Salt 
Pepper
Bacon, cooked and chopped (Optional)

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.  First you will want to wash the brussels sprouts and cut the end off.  

Cut them in half.  Some of the leaves might come off, it's okay. 

Put in a medium sized bowl; drizzle with oil, salt, and pepper.  Do not put the bacon in just yet.  I did in the picture, but my bacon burned.  

Put brussels sprouts on a sheet pan. 

Like I stated above, wait until you have cooked your brussels sprouts for about 15 minutes then add your bacon and cooked until finished, about 25-35 minutes or when brussels sprouts are crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.  I usually shake the pan a couple times while they are cooking so they brown evenly. 


I took these to Thanksgiving and they were delicious (no one held their nose while eating). 





No comments:

Post a Comment