Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sweet Potato Pancakes

I can not believe Thanksgiving is this week, this year has gone by so fast.  I am looking forward to spending time with friends and family and lots of eating.  My favorite food at Thanksgiving is not the turkey, it is my grandmother's dressing and Giblet gravy.  She has spoiled me, I always have my own pan of stuffing that is very dry, and crunchy!! I also love all the pumpkin and fall desserts, but I'm sure you gathered that from my "pumpkin" post earlier.


This will be Stapleton's first Thanksgiving, Since I am staying home, I have been crafty... he will be a turkey for thanksgiving! I have been copycatting ETSY...






I usually make pumpkin pancakes sometime this year.  However, I have a recipe from the Tupelo Honey cookbook, I have been wanting to make.  When we go to North Carolina, our favorite restaurant is Tupelo Honey, It's amazing!! If you are ever in Asheville, you MUST go!  My absolute favorite thing to get is the Sweet Potato Pancake, it is literally the size of your plate.  They serve it topped with peach butter and spiced pecans (I did not serve with with mine). Im' not going to lie, this recipe is a little time consuming.  I prepared most of it the night before.


Here is what you will need:


Not pictured: Sweet potato and Vinegar*


cups all-purpose flour
1teaspoon salt
tablespoons sugar
½tablespoon baking soda
1tablespoon baking powder
3cups buttermilk* (I did not have buttermilk so I added 3 Tablespoons of white vinegar to 3 cups of milk, 1 Tablespoon per cup)
3large eggs
2tablespoons butter, melted
1large sweet potato, roasted and cooled
2tablespoons honey
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
½teaspoon ground nutmeg
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix well. 



In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter, and then add this to the dry mixture.






Peel and mash the sweet potato, place it in a bowl, and then add the honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg and mix it well.
I roasted the sweet potato in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees 




Add this mixture into the pancake batter. Let the batter stand for 1 hour (or you can make it a day ahead of time, like I did).

Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add batter by the ladleful and cook the pancakes, in batches, until golden brown on each side.


This recipe makes about 20- 4 inch pancakes.  I will definitely divide the recipe next time.  They also reheat wonderfully.  The second time, I put cream cheese and land-o-lakes new cinnamon sugar butter on them, with a little maple syrup... heavenly (and healthy)!!

Here is a link to the recipe on the Food Network, including the spiced pecans and the peach butter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment