Thursday, February 9, 2012

Easy Chocolate Raspberry Cake



Oh Wow! It has been almost 2 months since I last posted... a lot has happened since my last post.  Here is the short version;

Christmas was great, we are so very blessed with such great family and friends.  Stapleton is into EVERYTHING... he is becoming quite the mess. He is pulling himself up on everything and getting brave, he will be walking before too long! Wherever there is a Bear, there is always a Stapleton to follow... they keep me busy all day long and I am sure they have a secret code of communication and half the time, I know they think I am crazy! On December 19th, it was confirmed... Baby Gooch #2 is on its way, surprise to us! The first trimester was a little rough, but now, we are good to go! We go in on February 14th to see what we are having.  Its no secret, I would love to have a girl, but as long as it is healthy (and happy :)) I don't care.  January came and disappeared very quickly. It brought Stapleton a new friend,  Baby Jackson, he was born January 14th. Stape is "kissing" him in this picture. 


We have been changing our house a little, we painted our breakfast nook (after 8 sample cans later, we finally decided on a color), we got a new bookshelf for our living room as well as a new sectional.  Come February 14th, I will know if I will be painting the nursery or not... :)

For Valentine's Day, I was planning on going to Bodean's and getting Crab legs and creating my own (romantic... ha ha) seafood extravaganza... but then I saw the menu for the Valentine's Diner and Dance at the Summit Club (way better than what I could do) and Kent suggested to call and see if they still had openings... So that is what we will be doing...and I won't have a mess :)

I remember around Valentine's Day, my mom used to make a Black Forest Cake out of a chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling.  So I was thinking about that cake last week and noticed I had a can of raspberry pie filling (from another baking experiment) and wondered what it would taste like.  So that was the start of this cake....

Here is what you will need:



1 chocolate Cake mix, with pudding in the mix
1 can raspberry pie filling
1 cup chocolate chips
3 eggs
1 tsp almond extract (not pictured)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In Mixer, combine cake mix, raspberry pie filling, and eggs. 

Mix until there are no clumps, add almond extract.  I chopped the chocolate chips, they were too big for my liking.  Add chocolate chips.  Grease bunt pan with Crisco or butter, I then dusted it with flour.  Pour mix evenly into bunt pan and bake for about 30 minutes, or until baked all the way through.  


Let cool completely. Turn over onto plate, if it looks like it is going to stick, run a knife along the edges before you dump it out.  

The white is from the flour, if it bothers you, use cocoa powder instead when you grease the pan.  

You can top with anything you would like, I had make pancakes that morning and had leftover raspberry syrup, so I used that.  

My mom used to make this icing...
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

Heat 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, butter or margarine, and milk in a saucepan over medium high heat. Once semisweet chocolate chips are melted and mixture is combined stir in confectioners' sugar. Drizzle over cake. Keep refrigerated.  


The cake turned out great! It was super moist and very flavorful! It pairs nicely with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. It was very easy, I will definitely be making this again!   




No comments:

Post a Comment