Sunday, August 19, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie and New Favorite foods


Well, life has definitely been busy.  Things are definitely more difficult with two kids than just one.  We are trying to get on some type of schedule or routine, but it's been tough! On top of two kids, I have poor Bear, who always wants to go outside and always has cabin fever.  I truly feel like I am living out the movie, Marley and Me… every time the doorbell rings, both kids happen to be asleep and what do you know, Bear barks and nap time (my serenity) is abruptly ended. 

It is hard to believe Larken is now a little over a month old, time has flown! Stapleton is somewhat adjusting to her, he loves to hold her, feed her a bottle and tries to give her her wubba nub when she is crying (sometimes forcefully).  

Since it has been so hot (too hot to even play outside), Stapleton and I have been going on “field trips” in the afternoon, to break up the monotony of the day, we have been to Sam’s, PetsMart (the free zoo) ,Lowe’s (which was a nightmare…he took his shoes off and was throwing them in other people’s baskets), Green Acres Market (new organic grocery store in Jenks) and Target on multiple occasions. 

One of my favorite things to do is try new foods, on our field trips, I have found a couple of new things that are really good. 

From Sam’s, I got a jar of pesto and the grilled chicken and four cheese ravioli, both Artisan Fresh brand.  They were both very good, I was surprised how flavorful the pesto was (definitely the best store bought pesto I have found.  It’s very quick and an easy meal if you combine the two. 

We have also found we really like Terra chips.  They are all vegetable chips, supposed to be healthier than regular potato chips, the Mediterranean flavor is our favorite so far. 

At the Green Acres Market they carry local baked goods, I happened to impulsively grab “the Ultimate Pound Cake” from Farrell Family Breads… Divine.  It is a plain pound cake that puts Sara Lee to shame.  It is moist and very flavorful (has rum and amaretto in it).  It was great with peaches and vanilla ice cream. 

At The Fresh Market, right when you walk in is a table of baked pound cakes, all different flavors.  I happened to see peach raspberry pound cake…Oh my goodness.   It was so good, I may have eaten it in 2 days (Kent did have a slice).  It was more like a muffin loaf… I have a feeling I will be making a trip back shortly to get another.   They have recipes on their site, I saw a peach pound cake, I may have to experiment with the recipe and see if I can get the raspberry peach pound cake. 


I have also found a dangerously good chocolate bar.  Dangerous for 2 reasons, it's about $6 and it's really really good.  Sweet and Salty meet chocolate and they dance! I savor it, it lasts me a good 4 or 5 days.  
I have been cooking some, but nothing major.  My dad’s birthday was a couple of weeks ago.  My parents came down for dinner and instead of making a cake, I went with a Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie.  My dad is a big peanut butter lover.  So I found a couple different recipes, and made up my own version. 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

Here is what you will need:

1/2 C peanut butter
20 Oreos (finely crushed)
1/2 C powdered sugar
2 tbsp butter melted
1 pkg cream cheese softened
1 pkg Oreo pudding
2 C milk
1 container Cool whip

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine half of the oreos (or enough to cover the bottom of the pan) and butter in a pie pan.  Bake for about 10 minutes.  Set aside and let cool. 
In a medium bowl, combine oreo pudding mix and milk.  Set aside.

In a mixer, whip the softened cream cheese.  Add the powdered sugar, then add the peanut butter, scrape sides and bottom and mix again. 


He stirred the pudding for me.  Yes, he has on his fish apron.  
Make sure the crust has cooled.  Spread the oreo pudding mix over the crust. 

Then evenly spread the peanut butter cream cheese mixture on top of that.  

Spread the cool whip on top and sprinkle the remaining crushed oreos on top.  Put in fridge (or freezer) and let chill. 

If you like chocolate and peanut butter, this is a dessert you will love!! It was very good, but very rich!!

Stapleton and the birthday boy, blowing out the candle!

No comments:

Post a Comment