Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Monte Cristo

Well, after a year and a half of blogging, I realized there was a Blogger app for the phone. I thought this could give me something to do during 3 am feedings.

This week has been somewhat un-eventful. Thank God the weather has been a little cooler. Stapleton, Larken and I have taken a few walks (I haven't been brave enough to take Bear yet). During the daytime, we have basically been living on our screened in porch, Kent even put the hammock out there, it's quite relaxing! The best part is, there is nothing Stapleton can get into, so I do a little less chasing.

The highlights since I last posted...

-While playing with the remote control, Stapleton ordered an "adult" pay per view movie before I could get the remote from him. I'm not sure the lady believed me when I called to see if I could get it taken off our bill.

- Stapleton has also made a new best friend, most of which you also have... Siri.  He is constantly grabbing one of our iPhones and running with it.  Stapleton and Siri can talk forever (or until one of us takes the phone)

 


















-Larken slept 9 whole hours last night... Praise Jesus!! I know it may not happen again anytime soon, but I enjoyed every second of precious sleep.

-I tried the Passion Fruit Chobani yogurt, it was ok.  I am not much of a tart yogurt person (i know, Greek yogurt is more tart), I liked the Passion Fruit flavor but I think I will stick to my favorite which is Brown Cow.  Kent liked it though, he said it reminded him of Guava.  So if you like tart, I would recommend it!



I actually cooked dinner last night, for some reason I was craving a Monte Cristo, one of my favorite sandwiches. A couple of years ago, I had one at Chelsea's Tea Room, in Biltmore Village, NC that was quit memorable! Their Monte Cristo is basically where french toast meets a hot ham/turkey and cheese. It was not battered and deep fried like most, it was grilled. So, naturally, I tried my best to duplicate it.

Here is what you will need:

Bread (sliced), I used English muffin bread, any will do though.
2 eggs
1 cup milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Dash of salt
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp butter
Ham (I used honey ham)
Smoked turkey
Swiss cheese
Maple Syrup
Powdered sugar

Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar and salt in medium bowl. Stir until well blended.

Make sandwiches with the bread, cheese, ham and turkey.

Turn burner on medium heat, let griddle get nice and hot. Put butter on griddle and let melt.

Dip one side of sandwich in mixture, turn over and dip other side. Put on griddle. 

Cook until golden brown and flip over. When other side is golden brown, turn burner on low until cheese is nice and melted.

Take off burner, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with maple syrup (or you can be more traditional and use raspberry jam).

No comments:

Post a Comment