Saturday, October 27, 2012

Oatmeal Cake and a Comic Strip

I can not believe October is almost over! On the 21st, Kent and I celebrated 6 years of marriage.  We celebrated by going to Seafest at The Summit Club, eating way too much and then playing Gin in the bar late into the night. Kent was beating me, then he totally "remembered" we had been playing wrong (of course, to benefit him). So, being the mature one, I quit, claiming if we would have been playing that way all along, I would have already won... I know, we like to live on the edge.  It was great though, to have a kid free evening, thanks to the grandparents!

Stapleton is 1 1/2 and Larken is almost 3 1/2 months old. Our house has pretty much turned into a funny farm, things are never boring.  I do find my self praying and thanking God for nap time (more than once a day) as well as bed time.  



Here are some of my unsuccessful tries at getting a picture of both kids...





This attempt turned into a comic strip...











I sat her back up and sadly, he figured out he could just push her and she would fall over.  
 My mom said if you watch it backwards he looks like he is helping her.


Oatmeal Cake

One of my all time favorite Fall/Winter recipes is Oatmeal Cake.  My Great Grandma Moore used to make this all of the time.  I believe she got it out of a church cookbook.  It is very easy and it makes you think happy thoughts. 





Oatmeal Cake Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup oatmeal
1 1/3 Cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 1/2 cup boiling water


Topping Ingredients:

1 cup chopped nuts - optional (Knight Creek Farm nuts are the best!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 c cream
6 Tbsp.  butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup coconut - optional (I never make it with coconut, I'm not the biggest fan)

Put Oatmeal and sugars in large bowl and stir.  Sift flour, baking soda, salt and spices together. Then add to sugar and Oatmeal mixture.  Add eggs and butter.  Then carefully pour the boiling water into the mixer (on lowest speed), make sure you scrape the sides and bottom of bowl to incorporate everything.  The batter will be very thin. Pour into a 13 x 9 1/2" pan.  Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until center is cooked all the way through.  Do not over cook it, or it will be dry.  


While the cake is baking, make the caramel topping. 


Melt butter in saucepan, then add sugars until dissolved. Add cream, vanilla, pecans and coconut.  Pour on cake right when it comes out of the oven.  I like to turn the oven onto broil and stick the cake back in and let the topping caramelize on top, for about a minute (careful not to let it burn)! 


This cake tastes better with age, it stays moist for 3 or 4 days.  I love heating it up in the microwave and eating it with a cup of coffee for breakfast.  It does have oatmeal in it, that means it's healthy right?



1 comment:

  1. I love the comic strip pictures! Hahaha poor Lark.

    ReplyDelete