Sunday, November 17, 2013

60 is Foxy

My mother-in-law, Peggy, recently turned the BIG 60, but don't let the number fool you! She is busier than anyone I know, whether it is chasing after her grandkids or an escaped animal, she is always on the go. She is also one of the most positive, happy people you will ever meet. Peggy loves all her animals (horses, mules, donkeys, dogs, chickens, sheep, goats, pig, barn cats) like they are her children. Well...except when it comes to foxes. 

One of her favorite hobbies is fox hunting. She loves riding horses and having fun with her friends every weekend in the fall chasing those elusive critters over hills and through the woods (although truth be told, they mostly chase coyotes). So what is fox hunting?  Here is a link from a local blogger,MC Swab of Fly the Coop, who joined them on Opening Hunt.   

So, when Kent mentioned her birthday was coming up, I immediately started thinking about hosting a party. Of course, who are we kidding, I don't need an excuse to plan for a party, but what better for a reason than to celebrate Peggy's birthday. Naturally I settled on a fox theme, as any left over decorations would tie in rather nicely at Peggy's Creek House (this is where they hunt out of on the weekends in beautiful Eastern Oklahoma. It is also reminiscent of where we summer in the mountains of western NC). We already have some fox memorabilia on hand because of my son's obsession with the movie, The Fantastic Mr. Fox. 

I saw cute Fox lights on Etsy and made similar lights from battery powered Christmas lights, felt and embroidery thread.  
What's a party without donuts? Baked Gingerbread donuts with orange glaze. 
 Almond Flavored (her favorite) Fox Cookies
Fox Christmas Ornaments, and Foxglove Wine. 
Fox Barrel Hard Cider has been my go to drink since this summer. It's so good, and it is gluten free. 
 I was trying to think of something to make, that looked like a fox, and this is what I came up with, a Fox Cheese Ball. 
This is a Bacon, Cheddar and Ranch Cheese Ball Fox (I know it's cheesy, haha).  It is super easy to throw together, and tastes delicious!

Here is the recipe adapted from allrecipes.com: 

2 packages softened cream cheese
1 pack Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup cooked and chopped Bacon (I don't think I used that much, but you can never have too much bacon)

Beat the cream cheese until smooth.  Add the Ranch mix, blend until incorporated then add the shredded cheese.  I poured mine into plastic wrap and made it into a  ball.  I chilled it in the fridge for a couple of hours, so I could "mold" it.  I then tried to get it into a fox shape.  If you are not going for a particular shape you can roll it into a ball then roll the ball in bacon and cover it.  I cut this recipe in half and it was more than enough.)

From Ritz to Garlic Bagel Chips, the options of nearly limitless for pairing crackers with this dip.  There are many variations of cheese balls online, I just found one that looked the easiest.

So there you have it, my own little Fox Hunt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment