Monday, November 25, 2013

Pumpkin Cookies

I don't know about your family, but every year, in my family, each person has a specific thing they bring.  I usually bring something with pumpkin in it, or 4 things.  Although I had to tone down my pumpkin love, Kent was over having something with pumpkin in it every day.  

One of my favorite recipes is pumpkin cookies.  I can remember making these in high school, I have no idea where my mom found the recipe, but it is a keeper!!  It is easy to make and hard to mess up.  


Pumpkin Cookies

1/2 of a small can of canned pumpkin 
2 cups all-purpose flour (not self-rising flour)
3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 eggs 
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Icing
   5 tablespoons butter or margarine
   2 cups confectioners' (powdered) sugar
   1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 1/8 cup milk (just enough to make the mixture spreadable)
chopped pecans or other nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 F.  Lightly grease two cookies sheets or line with
parchment paper.

Prepare the icing:
Carefully, lightly brown the butter in a saucepan over medium-low
heat. Be careful not to burn it. Remove the browned butter from heat.
Then blend in the confectioners sugar and the vanilla extract. It will start off think and lumpy, until you add the milk in the next step. Mix in just enough milk to make the mixture smooth and spreadable.  It probably will only take a small amount, like 1/8 to 1/4 cup, set aside.  
   Preparing the Cookies:
 In a large mixing bowl, mix the butter and brown sugar together until light and smooth. Mix in the eggs, pumpkin and vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, salt and spices (cinnamon, allspice, ginger and nutmeg). Combine the two bowls (just pour the smaller bowl into the larger) and stir. Drop the cookie dough onto the greased cookie sheet.  Bake pumpkin cookies in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Let cool, then (I use the back of a spoon) spread icing on the cookie.  


I'm not going to lie, they are also good with a cup of coffee in the morning!  

The other food item Thanksgiving would not be complete without is Pumpkin Bread Pudding. I blogged it about 2 years ago, it is divine.  Yes, I think there will be pumpkin bread pudding in heaven! 

Thanksgiving is definitely one of my favorite holidays because I love the food.  The moist turkey, my own crunchy (almost burnt) stuffing (my mom cooks my pan longer),  the sides and of course, the desserts.  I am definitely looking forward to Thursday! 

1 comment: